Before deciding on using cloud services for data sharing, a number of questions should be considered. These often-overlooked questions can help avoid a slow integration.
- Are the rules in place to manage data ownership and access authorisation?
- Are the rules put in place by the agency compatible and/or applicable to the cloud provider?
- How do the cloud services integrate into the enterprise, and how does it interact with other applications?
- How will user profiles be set up to manage access permissions, etc?
- How will trouble ticketing be handled when the problem reaches beyond the scope of an organization’s networks?
- Can all cloud services be offered in a way that provides the maximum value to each employee?
These questions are important, but are not the only ones that should be addressed. The Federal CIO Council has established a committee to address many of these problems.
In order for cloud to really enhance data sharing and communications within an organisation, a flexible and service-oriented structure must already be in place. Addressing these questions will help organisations achieve this type of structure.