As Head of People and Culture I have plenty of interviews under my belt, so here are my top tips to help you rock your next interview:
• This one seems simple, but answer the phone with your name and show up on time. You’d be surprised at how many people fall at the first step. Don’t be one of those!
• You only get one chance at a first impression, so do your best to represent yourself how YOU want to be perceived. Perception is your audience’s reality, and one that is very hard to change.
• Be your professional self. You will often hear ‘be authentic’ and yes that is one of Kiandra’s values, but bottom line, all that means is be yourself. Or more importantly, don’t try to be anything you are not, it will show to those interviewing you.
• If you don’t understand a question, don’t wing it, ask for clarification or paraphrase what you think they mean.
• Try to maintain a balance between short and long answers. “Yes” and “no” is NOT
the best answer for anything in an interview, but neither is taking ten minutes to answer one question. Keep it brief, with enough detail; the interviewer will always ask for more information if they need it.
• You are being judged. That is the whole purpose of an interview process, so you may as well put yourself out there and be judged for YOU. Show some personality, if asked talk about your passions and interests. When it comes down to it, your interviewers are asking themselves ‘do I want to work with this person?’ or even ‘do I like this person?’ Remember interviews are for you to judge and assess these people and company yourself, it is a two-way street.
• Nerves are normal so just accept their existence and try your best.
• The dreaded should you ask questions or not? Ask questions if you have questions, but be mindful that curiosity does show interest.
Good luck with your next interview!