With global warming, climate change and the release of the carbon tax, reducing carbon emissions is on the concerned minds of business leaders everywhere, and Green IT is fast becoming a key topic of conversation for IT companies.
Green IT refers to environmentally sustainable computing and technology and any reputable IT services company should be able to provide you with stainable solution options.
Technology is a large energy consumer yet it’s easy to reduce its carbon emissions, saving the environment and your bottom line.
Carbon emission control is a complex and multifaceted issue however there are several things businesses can do to reduce emissions from their technology environments:
- Implement power saving policies on your PCs to save power when not in use.
- Server virtualisation can reduce the number of servers you need, and consequently the amount of power running and cooling them. Fewer servers mean fewer emissions from the manufacturing, transportation and disposal processes.
- Turn off your PCs at night unless maintenance operations require they are left on.
- Reduce printing – do you really need to print that email or PDF? If you do print, print double-sided or 2 pages to a page to reduce not just the paper you’re using but the corresponding carbon emissions from the plantation, the mill, and during transportation.
- Implement remote access technologies if you don’t already have them. These can reduce the need to drive or train in to the office, reducing transportation emissions.
- Consider integrated services such as Voice Over IP (VOIP) to reduce equipment power requirements and increase utilisation of communications infrastructure.
- Ask your IT professional to recommend the right mix of on premise and Cloud solutions to suit your business needs. Cloud Computing solutions are options where shared resources, software and information are provided on demand to your computer.
- Purchase PC/Server/Printer equipment that has higher energy efficiency ratings. If you’re one of the few people still running the old school glass tube CRT monitors it’s definitely time to upgrade! Did you know that by replacing them with TFT/LCD flatscreens you’ll have a lot more desk space, look a lot cooler, and you’ll also save half the power!
- Consider videoconferencing and collaboration systems to reduce the need to travel on planes and in cars.
- Consider software development services to replace manual or paper-intensive processes. Not only will you gain operational efficiencies and a lower bottom line, you may be able to reduce your impact on the environment.